Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My thoughts on skin care (long rant) and two natural products I'm dying to try!

Angie says:
Before you continue to read this blog post, I want to make it clear, that I am not an expert by any means, I only would like to share what worked for me, and why I think that it did. This is just an opinion based post, so please, if you disagree with anything I said, don’t take it personal.

The more I submerge myself in the world of beauty, the more I want to learn about beauty secrets. Sometimes when I think of what my ideal skin care routine would be like, I always picture myself using all natural multi-purpose products. Not only do I picture that, but I always picture said products in vintage-looking packaging on some fancy vintage vanity. Oh the dream!

I first pictured this skin care dream when I purchased some boots skin care products.  I bought the kind that claimed to be the original formula from the 1800s, which in turn also included beautiful packaging. In fact, to be quite honest, I bought those products mainly because of the packaging. However they played an important role in how I view skin care now.

I personally feel that skin care shouldn’t be a routine where one slathers a bunch of chemicals onto the face.  Sure, sometimes with moderate to severe acne, you need the help of said chemicals to get rid of bacteria, but if you have relatively clear skin, a natural skin care can and probably will enhance your skin’s natural beauty. I will make an example of myself. I have never really had troublesome skin, sure, I do breakout every now and then, especially when my hormones are at their peak, but I’ve never really had acne. However when I was younger I would always freak out if I ever did break out, even if it was just one pimple that appeared, I just couldn’t stand it, it needed to go!  That’s how my skin started getting in trouble, one pimple would appear and I would slap on a ton of benzoyl peroxide-based products on my face. Most of the time the blemish would be gone in a matter of hours, however, I was always left with severely dry skin, mainly because instead of just targeting one blemish, I would just spread the product all over my face. The severely dry skin always made my skin go nuts; it would go into emergency mode and produce a ton of oil overnight, which in turn actually made me break out, everywhere. 

For months I went through this cycle, clearing my blemishes with chemicals, only to worsen the problem, and then solve it again.

Then, last year, a miracle happened. I went camping for three days. I forgot my usual face wash which resulted in me cleaning my skin with just some baby wipes someone was carrying, by the time I got home from my trip, my face was completely clear.  At first I was so happy, but then I was completely puzzled and even a little angry. You mean I didn’t have to spend all the money on acne treatments all this time? No, I didn’t at all. You see, since my skin was never really problematic, I had no need for benzoyl peroxide treatments at all. All they did was aggravate the condition of my skin, and they made my problem bigger.  I now only try to use products that are either natural, targeted for sensitive skin or only have a few ingredients, and let me tell you, my skin has never felt or looked better. Of course I still have an awful diet that consists of fried stuff and tons of dairy so I still breakout sometimes. When that occurs now, instead of freaking out, I decide to just target specific blemishes, instead of my entire face, and it works wonders for me.

If guess if you have to take anything away from this long rant, that one thing should be, don’t fix a problem that doesn’t exist. 

Now I would like to share some multi-purpose natural products I want to try, they both seem really promising, almost too good to be true, so if you’ve tried either of these, please let me know if they worked for you.

Rose Water:  My toner from boots has a high concentration of rose water, and it’s one of the best toners I have ever used. It makes my skin feel supple and refreshed. The amazingness of this toner made me google rose water and its benefits, and soon I was really overwhelmed by all the positive reviews of just plain rose water.  Common uses include, skin toning, hair care, after sun exposure remedy, some people even consume this stuff and some even swear rose water makes the best eye drops ever. I just know I have to try this!

Coconut Oil:  I first learned of coconut oil from one-parade.com, which is an awesome blog by the way, though I’m sure Marjorie wouldn’t agree with my make-up madness ha-ha. Anyway, coconut oil (according to my research) can be used as a conditioner, as a skin moisturizer and even as a healthy alternative to cooking oil, who would have thought? 

Anyway, there is my long post J I hope it was somehow informative or entertaining.  Have you guys tried anything like the products mentioned? Let me know!


-Angie


No comments:

Post a Comment